Safety & Security
SAFETY IS A RESPONSIBILITY, NOT AN EXPENSE
Amid an unending sea of acronyms have come over 40 conventions and 800 codes dealing with the safety, security, and pollution issues of the maritime industry, including:
- IMO the International Maritime Organization, which was established in 1959 by the United Nations
- SOLAS Safety Of Life At Sea, which was started in 1914 in response to the tragic sinking of the Titanic
- ISM International Safety Management, required for commercial vessels over 500 tons
- ISPS International Ship and Port Safety
- MARPOL The International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships, came into force on 2nd October 1983. The convention continues to evolve to include amendments for prevention of air, sewage, oil, garbage pollution from ships.
- MLC Maritime Labour Convention, established to protect the safety and rights of seafarers
- STCW International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers. This convention sets the minimum standards related to basic training, certification and watchkeeping on an international level.
Your vessel’s compliance will be achieved with the hands-on experience and tools used by our knowledgeable professionals. Fairport Yacht Support is here to navigate your way through the industry standards and keep the vessel up to date with amendments in conventions. Our Designated Person (DP) and Technical Managers conduct the required annual audits. The Technical Manager supports each vessel with the compulsory reviews and updates the certifying organization requires.
More Safety & Security Info